Tuesday, November 4, 2014

One Happy Teacher!

Through a teacher friend of mine I was introduced to Kelly Anne of Appleslices Loving Writing Unit! I have been trying for week to no avail to get my students writing. No matter what I tried I could not for the life of me get them to enjoy writing. I downloaded it and decided what the heck it can't hurt to try it. My students absolutely loved it!!!! Today when they walked in the classroom I had 5 kids ask me are we going to write in our writing notebooks today? I was over the moon by the response.

I told them with my writing program they had to write the whole time, their pencils could not stop the whole time. I figured I would get some moans and groans, but I didn't hear a word. I sent them to find somewhere comfortable in the room and told them they had 15 minutes to write. They wrote and wrote, I had to practically beg them to stop writing so we could move on. After they had completed the writing I asked who wanted to share, I normally have a pretty reluctant class. However, in this case almost every hand in the class shot up to share what they had written.

I am so beyond excited I don't even know how to express it to you. The fact that I have found something I can use all year and they enjoy it is so amazing. I have them hooked and I can only hope that this is a step towards them becoming the strong, independent writers I know they can be.

Miss B.

No comments:

Post a Comment