Sunday, March 8, 2015

Are You ready For A Little.........Seuss Madness??








This month is one of my favorite months for sports as March gives us March Madness. For those of you who don't follow basketball, March Madness is a bracket where teams play each other. Teams that win advance through the bracket, teams that lose go home. So I decided to put a little education spin on March Madness.

I call it Seuss Madness and it is a bracket made up of Dr.Seuss books. I was unsure how this was going to work being that I have 4th graders. I was afraid that it was going to be seen as babyish to read Dr. Seuss books in class, but I gave it a try anyways, My students loved it!!! When I first made the bracket I wrote the names of the book on paper and posted it to the wall. However, one of my loving teaching friends thought it would look even better if we added the titles to the wall. So she went and surprised me and my class by printing off colored book covers for us to place on our bracket.

In our first round match ups the votes were not very close. How The Grinch Stole Christmas defeated Hop on Pop 19-2, The Cat in the Hat defeated The Foot Book 17-4, Green Eggs and Ham defeated I am Not Going To Get Up Today 18-3 and finally in what I thought was an upset One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish defeated Oh The Places You'll Go 15-6.

We moved to the second round with The Cat in the Hat facing off against How The Grinch Stole Christmas and Green Eggs and Ham facing off against One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. When the votes were tallied The Cat in Hat was victorious 13-8 and Green Eggs and Ham also came out on top 19-2.

Finally we moved to the Championship round! The kids were literally bursting with excitement to get to the final vote. The match up was The Cat in the Hat against Green Eggs and Ham. After hearing both stories again, we voted!!! It was the closest match up we have had all week, the students couldn't wait for me to reveal the winner! The winner was.........................The Cat in the Hat 11-10!

I couldn't believe how much they loved this idea, as it was one that I just threw together at the last moment. It was also a nice relaxing break from all the PARCC testing we have been doing the past few months.

Hope you enjoyed reading about our Seuss Madness! Enjoy your week and good luck to everyone who will be or has already taken the PARCC test!

Miss. B

No comments:

Post a Comment