Sunday, March 15, 2015

Science Experiments Part 1: Candy Experiements

With the lovely PARCC test among us at Odin, I am taking this time to conduct some science experiments that I have wanted to try all year. Finding time is my crazy schedule for science and experiments has been hard, but I figured now was the perfect time with testing going on. As I sat on Thursday night trying to think off what we could do on Friday morning before testing an idea popped in my head. Why not do all those activities your kids have been asking to do?

The experiment we did on Friday was will skittles melt in water? I had the students go and fill a bowl about half way up and I passed out 3 skittles for each group. I then asked them before they were put in the water to talk with their group about what color skittles would melt fastest/slowest and make predictions before we tested it out. After completing their group predictions they went and put their skittles in the water!


Next after they had placed their skittles in the water we talked about their predictions they made and each group explained to me why they made the prediction they did. After about 3 minutes we went up a group at a time and observed what was going on with the skittles. The students were amazed at how quickly the skittles were melting in the bowl.


We went back and discussed why are they melting so quickly in the water. While I got some great answers as to why, only one little girl in the class provided me with the correct answer. She said it melts because the entire candy is sugar and when you out sugar in water it melts. I was so proud of how hard they worked in their groups and the discussions they brought to the table.

Finally it was time to leave to go test, but before we left we checked our bowls one more time. The students were in awe of the fact that the skittle was completely gone. The only thing left was the color dye off the skittles.


What might have made this teacher the happiest was the ideas that were brought to the table later after our testing. One little boy asked if the skittles were melt quicker in Sprite as opposed to water? Another students asked if M&M's would melt the same way skittles did? While another wanted to test out Star burst. Hearing the students talking, laughing and getting along working together is what I loved most about the day. Hearing them say this is fun, or can we do more experiments like this is what teaching is all about. Hopefully next week as our testing continues I will bring you another experiment that we have tried out.


Until next time!!
Miss. B

No comments:

Post a Comment